PhD in Business and Management
(MQA / PA 15444)
Advanced training to develop innovative research in all areas of business and management.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
Programme Learning Outcomes
(Knowledge and Understanding – MQF Domain 1)
(Cognitive Skills - MQF Domain 2)
(Practical Skills - MQF Domain 3A & Ethics & Professionalism - MQF Domain 5)
(Interpersonal Skills - MQF Domain 3B & Communication Skills - MQF Domain 3C)
(Digital Skills - MQF Domain 3D)
(Numeracy Skills - MQF Domain 3E)
(Leadership, Autonomy & Responsibility - MQF Domain 3F & Ethics & Professionalism - MQF Domain 5)
(Personal & Entrepreneurial Skills - MQF Domain 4)
Minimum 3 years (6 semesters)
Maximum 6 years (12 semesters)
- Compulsory Courses
i. Academic Writing and Seminar (UMU1013)
ii. Research Methodology (UMU1023)
iii. Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1 (UMU1033) (Non-Malaysian student only)
iv. Contemporary Issues in Business and Management (BMF1113)
- Proposal stage and thesis writing
- Proposal stage and thesis writing
- Proposal defend should be approved maximum in one year.
Third – Sixth semester
- Research stage and thesis writing
- Viva-Voce of thesis defend examined by internal and external examiners.
- Prior to Viva Voce, at least two publications in SCOPUS indexed journal or conference proceedings.
i. A Master’s degree (Level 7, MQF) in related fields as accepted by the Senate; OR
ii. A Master’s degree (Level 7, MQF) in non-related fields as accepted by the Senate, subject to having relevant working experience* and rigorous internal assessment**; OR
iii. A Master’s degree (Level 7, MQF) in non-related fields as accepted by the Senate and without relevant working experience, subject to passing pre-requisite courses***; OR
iv. Other qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree (Level 7, MQF) recognised by the Malaysian Government.
v. The University can take excellent Bachelor’s Degree (Level 6, MQF) graduates for direct admission to Doctoral Degree by Research (Level 8, MQF) programme with the following conditions:
a. Students have first class Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification; or
b. Students have obtained CGPA of at least 3.67 or equivalent from either an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme; and
c. Evaluated through rigorous internal assessment by the HEP; and
d. Approved by the Senate and accepted as a candidate for the Doctoral Degree (Level 8, MQF) programme. Students must demonstrate appropriate progress during the candidature period.
* Experience can be cumulative experience even before acquiring required qualification for a particular level of study. However, the experience must be relevant to the level of study as well as the content.
** Rigorous assessment to evaluate the suitability of an applicant for a programme through statement of purpose, interview and other methods may cover the following criteria:
i. Demonstration of strong business experience, and that you have held significant managerial responsibilities.
ii. Evidence of any achievements in your professional life, for example, consistently performing at a high level, consistent career progression and any impact that you have had on your organisation.
iii. Professional skills that you have developed, for example, team work, leadership, problem-solving, negotiating and analytical skills.
iv. How you will contribute to your class and what experiences you can bring to the institution. (Lancaster University, 2021)
*** The pre-requisite courses must equip the students with necessary business knowledge (managing people, managing financial resources, understanding customers, understanding environments and strategic planning) of one level lower than the programme level.
Achieve a minimum Band 4 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) OR any equivalent to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR (B2)
Master in relevant field, graduated from accredited university recognized by MQA, or should accredited by BAN-PT from Indonesia Universities
- Student pass fees for international students are subjected to a determination under the Malaysian Immigration Department.
- Student insurance fees are subjected to the statutory provisions of the University and local authorities.
- Student accommodation fees are determined by University rules and are available upon request.
- Analyst in the related field
- Consultant in the related field