PhD in Information Technology
The programme enables students to advance themselves in their career in computing and information technology. It offers flexibility in the choice of topic of research so it may be closely aligned with students' professional careers.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
Programme Learning Outcomes
(Knowledge and Understanding - MQF Domain 1)
(Cognitive Skills - MQF Domain 2)
(Cognitive Skills - MQF Domain 2 & Practical Skills - MQF Domain 3A)
(Interpersonal Skills - MQF Domain 3B & Communication Skills - MQF Domain 3C)
(Digital Skills - MQF Domain 3D & Numeracy Skills - MQF Domain 3E)
(Leadership, Autonomy & Responsibility - MQF Domain 3F)
(Personal & Entrepreneurial Skills - MQF Domain 4)
(Ethics & Professionalism - MQF Domain 5)
Minimum 3 years (6 semesters)
Maximum 6 years (12 semesters)
- Compulsory Courses
ii. Research Methodology (UMU1023)
iii. Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1 (UMU1033) (Non-Malaysian student only)
iv. Research and Challenges in Modern Information Technologies (ITF1113)
Proposal stage and thesis writing
- Proposal stage and thesis writing
- Proposal defend should be approved maximum in one year.
Third – Sixth semester:
- Research stage and thesis writing
- Viva-Voce of thesis defend examined by internal and external examiners.
- Prior to Viva Voce, at least two publications in SCOPUS indexed journal or conference proceedings.
A Master’s Degree or equivalent AND candidates must have completed at least ONE (1) of their earlier Degrees (Master’s or Bachelor’s) in Computing or related to computing.
International students must have proof of good proficiency in verbal and written English. If a student does not meet this requirement, the University must offer English proficiency courses to ensure that the student’s proficiency is sufficient to meet the needs of the programme.
Note for PhD by Research:
i. There shall be no direct entry from Bachelor’s Degree level to PhD level.
ii. Candidates registered for Master’s Degree by research programmes with a Bachelor’s Degree level may apply to convert their candidacy to the PhD programmes subject to having shown competency and capability in conducting research at PhD level and approval by the Senate.
Achieve a minimum Band 4 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) OR any equivalent to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR (B2)
Master in relevant field, graduated from accredited university recognized by MQA, or should accredited by BAN-PT from Indonesia Universities
MYR 5,125/ Semester
- Student pass fees for international students are subjected to a determination under the Malaysian Immigration Department.
- Student insurance fees are subjected to the statutory provisions of the University and local authorities.
- Student accommodation fees are determined by University rules and are available upon request.
- Analyst in the related field
- Consultant in the related field