Take your Islamic Knowledge to the highest professional level
Empower yourself with grounded Islamic knowledge with a degree from UMAM. Gain industry experience and open up new opportunities for your career.
PhD in Islamic Studies
Produce scholars and researchers who can serve the global Muslim community (ummah), especially in spreading Islamic knowledge, with the aim of addressing contemporary chall
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO)
Programme Learning Outcomes
(Knowledge and Understanding – MQF Domain 1)
(Cognitive Skills - MQF Domain 2)
(Practical Skills – MQF Domain 3A)
(Interpersonal Skill – MQF Domain 3B & Communication Skills – MQF Domain 3C)
(Digital Skills – MQF Domain 3D & Numeracy Skills – MQF Domain 3E)
(Leadership, Autonomy & Responsibility – MQF Domain 3F)
(Personal & Entrepreneurial Skills – MQF Domain 4)
(Ethics & Professionalism – MQF Domain 5)
Minimum 3 years (6 semesters)
Maximum 6 years (12 semesters)
- Compulsory Courses
i.Academic Writing and Seminar (UMU1013)
ii. Research Methodology (UMU1023)
iii. Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1 (UMU1033) (Non-Malaysian student only)
iv. Islam and Contemporary Issues in Southeast Asia (ISF1213)
- Proposal stage and thesis writing
- Proposal stage and thesis writing
- Proposal defend should be approved maximum in one year.
Third – Sixth semester
- Research stage and thesis writing
- Viva-Voce of thesis defend examined by internal and external examiners.
- Prior to Viva Voce, at least two publications in SCOPUS indexed journal or conference proceedings.
- A recognised Master's Degree (Level 7 Malaysian Qualification Framework, MQF) in Islamic Studies or its equivalent.
Candidates without formal background knowledge in Islamic Studies shall not in principle be admissible to a Doctoral programme (Level 8 MQF) in any branch of Islamic Studies. However, candidates with a Master’s Degree (Level 7 MQF) in other fields but have no formal paper qualification in Islamic Studies may be admitted subject to passing a qualifying examination that verifies the adequacy of their background knowledge. This examination should include both written and oral components (including interview), and by adequate level is meant being at par with the level of knowledge that is typical of a Master’s Degree (Level 7 MQF) holder in Islamic Studies. If the gap between the two is major, the candidate should not be accepted. If it is only minor, the candidate may still be considered, subject to passing a rigorous prerequisite requirement.
- Candidates without a related qualification in the field/s or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the Higher Education Provider (HEP)
a. A Bachelor’s Degree (Level 6 MQF) with the following conditions:
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Level 6 MQF) in the field or related fields with first-class Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
- Undergo internal assessment
- Any other requirement of the HEP.
Bachelor’s Degree (Level 6 MQF) candidates who are registered for Master’s Degree (Level 7 MQF) programmes may apply to convert to the Doctoral Degree (Level 8 MQF) programmes subjected to the following conditions:
- Within 1 year for full time and within 2 years for part-time candidates;
- Having shown competency and capability in conducting research at doctoral - level through rigorous internal evaluation by the HEP; and
- Approval of the HEP Senate.
Achieve a minimum Band 4 in Malaysian University English Test (MUET) OR any equivalent to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, CEFR (B2)
Master in relevant field, graduated from accredited university recognized by MQA, or should accredited by BAN-PT from Indonesia Universities
MYR 5,125/ Semester
- Student pass fees for international students are subjected to a determination under the Malaysian Immigration Department.
- Student insurance fees are subjected to the statutory provisions of the University and local authorities.
- Student accommodation fees are determined by University rules and are available upon request.
- Analyst in the related field
- Consultant in the related field
How to Apply
Follow our step-by-step guide through the process of preparing your application to maximise your chances of success.